Saturday, December 20, 2014

Easy Photo Frame Ornaments

Looking for a last-minute gift idea? These photo frame ornaments look great and are super easy to make. Plus, the costs involved are minimal. All you need is the canning lid from a glass jar (the canning lid with 2 pieces), a photograph, some ribbon, and glue!


I hope that I am not the only one who still prints photos. J and I took a great photo together on my birthday this month, so I was looking for a way to use the photo after printing it. I decided that this easy photo frame ornament was the way to go. If you don't have any recent pictures, of course you can use old family photos too! How do you like the one of me and my siblings from when we were kids? Funny how our personalities shine through in the photograph.


To make this easy ornament, simply get a canning lid from a glass jar. There should be a frame piece and a circular piece that inserts into the frame. The circular piece is where you will glue the photo.


First you need to position the frame over your photo to decide where to cut the picture.


Once you have decided where to cut, mark your spot, and then use the smaller piece of the lid to trace a circle onto the photo. If you traced the larger frame, your photo would be too big for the circular piece.



Once you have traced your photo, you can begin cutting out the circle. You will glue this to the lid piece, with a ribbon between for hanging.


Add glue to the top of the circular lid piece. I like Elmer's Glue All or Aleene's Tacky glue for this project, but any liquid glue would work fine.


Cut about 6 inches of ribbon and loop, gluing the end pieces down on top of the lid.


While the glue is still wet, place the photo on top of the ribbon. Let the glue set for about 1 minute.


Next, add some glue to the inner rim of the frame before placing the photo piece into the frame.


Place the photo face down inside of the frame, pressing and holding for twenty seconds.


Let the ornament dry before using it. Once the ornament is dry, you can hang it on your tree or make more and give them away as gifts!


These ornaments make fun mementos and are easy last-minute gifts for friends or family! Instead of photographs, you could also frame wrapping paper scraps or old Christmas cards. Such a cute way to recycle! I am planning to give two of these ornaments to my brothers as part of their Christmas gifts. I hope it makes them laugh! I smile just looking at this photo. That is the best present in my opinion!

Happy Holidays!

No comments: